Conveniently located to serve Charleston, SC
Becoming a mother is a wonderful thing. But the changes a woman’s body goes through during the process of pregnancy, childbirth, and nursing are staggering. After this, many new mothers realize how much they have changed, not just emotionally but physically as well. That is where a mommy makeover can help.
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
The mommy makeover is a package of plastic-surgery procedures customized by the patient to achieve their desired aesthetic goals after childbirth. This package can include one or more of the following options:
- Tummy tuck – Also called an abdominoplasty, the tummy tuck is a procedure used to correct the postpartum pooch. A curving incision is made from hipbone to hipbone, and the abdominal muscles are tightened, excess fat is removed, and excess skin is trimmed.
- Breast augmentation/lift – Breast augmentation is conducted to increase the size and projection of the breasts. It can be done using fat transfer to the breasts or by placing breast implants. The breast lift is conducted to raise sagging breasts and make them look perkier. This involves the removal of excess skin. Areolae can also be resized and repositioned if needed.
- Liposuction – This minimally invasive procedure removes pockets of excess stubborn fat from the body. It is done by inserting a thin tube into the area through a small incision, dislodging the fat deposits, and carrying them out of the body with the help of medical suction.
The procedures chosen for your mommy makeover will be based on the requirements of your specific case, along with your medical history.
Reasons for a Mommy Makeover
There are numerous reasons why new mothers come in for a mommy makeover, including the following:
- To regain the appearance of their breasts – During pregnancy, a woman’s breasts increase in size to prepare for lactation. For some women, once the baby is weaned, the breasts shrink rapidly or start sagging instead of returning to their previous appearance.
- To correct diastasis recti – As a woman’s uterus grows to make space for the baby, her left and right abdominal muscles may be stretched and pulled apart. This condition, called diastasis recti, may persist after childbirth in the form of an ungainly bulge.
- To lose excess fat – Pregnancy is accompanied by weight gain. Most women find it difficult to shed those excess inches after childbirth, and diet and exercise often do not help to get rid of the stubborn fat.
After considering this procedure for a long time and lots of research I am happy to have found Dr.Ulm.
He made me feel very comfortable, relaxed, and very cared for. My outcome was great. All I can say is, if you’re looking for not only a great Plastic Surgeon with knowledge, that takes the time to be caring but also looks very handsome : ) Dr. Ulm is truly someone you should consider for your journey.
What to Expect During a Mommy Makeover
The surgical plan prepared by Dr. Ulm is unique to each patient’s medical history and goals for improvement. The mommy makeover procedure can take around three to five hours and will be performed under general anesthesia.
Once the anesthesia takes effect, Dr. Ulm will create the necessary incisions. He will use features of the patient’s anatomy to artfully conceal incisions as much as possible. After the desired changes have been completed, the incisions will be closed using sutures. Dressings will then be applied.
What to Expect After a Mommy Makeover
A recovery period between three and six weeks is standard after a mommy makeover surgery. Patients will need to rest and engage in minimal activity for the first five to seven days.
Swelling and bruising are common after a mommy makeover. Mild discomfort or tenderness is short-lived and can be managed with pain medication as directed.
Drains may be placed to remove excess fluid. Protective dressings must stay dry until removed, usually 24 to 48 hours after the procedure. Patients recovering from surgery must wear compression garments to support healing tissues.
Smoking must be avoided during recovery, since it can slow the body’s natural healing process. Patients will need to stay home from work for a time and must avoid physically taxing activities for four to six weeks.
How Much Does a Mommy Makeover Cost?
The cost of a Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. The price can be affected by body type, type of technique performed, surgical complications, and even allergies. Find out more by scheduling a consultation.
Contact Our Office for Your Consultation
The procedures that are part of a mommy makeover can help restore a woman’s body to the way it was before childbirth and nursing – it can even make it better than before! Women who have opted for this process can vouch for the benefits.
To find out more about the mommy makeover and customize your package of procedures, contact our office. During a consultation with Dr. Ulm, you will discuss your needs and goals, along with your medical history and any medications you are currently taking. You will also look at before-and-after photos. Dr. Ulm will then create a surgical plan for your procedure.
Related Blog Post
Restore Your Youthful Look with a Breast Lift
Have you ever looked into the mirror and wished that your breasts looked like they used to look when you were younger? A great deal of women faces this issue as they are older, … Read More